GrumpyOldGeek

Ignoramus14555 wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:34:07 GMT, Bruce L Bergman wrote:

On 20 Apr 2005 16:36:56 GMT, Ignoramus14555
wrote:

The person who correctly identifies this head will get 50 feet of 14
gauge 3 wire ST M/E cable. Great for wiring various tools. Has thick,
black, protective plastic armor. Very flexible. Shippping is also
free.

All you have to do is correctly answer, what is this head for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/unknown-head/

Don't ask me what brand it is, but this looks like a segmented head
(one cylinder) for a Big Diesel. Medium sized Earthmover or Class 8
Truck sized. They build the big ones like this so you can take apart
the one cylinder that has problems for repair without taking the whole
engine apart.

I'll be interested when someone pops up and says "Oh, that's a CAT
3608 head!" or something like that...

The head bolts go through the half-round notches on the sides, and
clamp two adjacent heads with one bolt and a big washer. Four holes
for pushrods up through the opposite sides. Hole for the fuel
injector in the middle.

Most likely the big siamese ports are the exhaust, the one that
loops around at an angle are the intake - if you have a turbocharger
or supercharger in the intake you can take a bit more circuitous
route. And the port on the top with the three bolts and O-ring groove
is probably for a coolant manifold back to the radiator from each
head.

And each head has it's own valve cover for the rocker arms.

Thanks, that's very insightful. I sent an email to a gentleman who
rebuilds diesels for a living -- working for very large customers --
and he said that it might be Cummins, although he would not know.

My first thought was "that's out of a Cummins engine from a yard-
switcher locomotive" I don't have any way to verify it though.

I watched some other guys tear down the Cummins engine years
ago when I belonged to a railroad club.