Ken Grunke

WillR wrote:
mare wrote:

Hi,

I need (well, would like) one elliptical leg for the end of an
elliptical table. The other end will be attached to a wall, so it only
has one leg.

I have several ideas how to make one, layering lots of pieces of
bandsawn wood (or plywood) and then shaving and sanding until I'm blue
in the face.

Is there a simpler solution? The leg doesn't have to be tapered, just a
piece of wood with a elleptical profile, about 6 x 10 centimetre (2 1/2
x 4 inch) inches thick.

Or should I order it from somewhere where they have a spindler moulder
and the required profile(s)? Or a CNC cutter. I only need one, and don't
want it to cost me an arm as well.

This wood be better in r.c.woodturning. I just crossposted.

Most look here -- but might miss it.

Some do some pretty fancy stuff.

There are some specialty sites on this type of ornamental turning. DAGS
on it. (ornamental turning that is)

How about a router carriage, the length of the spindle, with an
adjustable edge guide. The blank is held between centers in a lathe-like
setup (or a lathe itself, if possible) with an elliptical template
attached to one end. Use an end-cutting bit in the router, whose depth
and positon is set to the template. It would be necessary to lock the
blank in position, while making the cut the full length--then move the
spindle a few degrees each time, adjusting the depth and lateral
position of the router so it cuts tangent with the curve. Round the
facets off with a sander.

Ken Grunke