Mr Jingles Mr Jingles is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pie
Anybody know anything about or have experience ofthe Open Learning Centre International Plumbing Courses? Depending on your requirements you can achieve C & G Level 2 with the option of taking it forward level 2 NVQ. Is it worth it, will it teach me anything I don't know already (basic knowledge) and will it compromise Part P for any related electrical work carried out on any work I do?
Looking for new direction with a view to leaving current employment. Not interested in the tosh written recently in the press re big earning potential. Just being forced to retire at 55 and will need to continue working till I drop dead (according to the government).
Am I having a laugh thinking about 'retraining' ? Any comments or suggestions much appreciated.

Hello Charlie Pie

I would steer well clear of these type Plumbing Courses,my old mate is a Mechanical Engineering (plumbing)lecturer at our local poly,he looked into these "Become a Plumber Fast Track courses ",they are all run as just one thing to cash in on the money in trainees pocket , most of the course is all "Watch as the Trainer/old plumber quickly shows you the skills in a bay ",
its all rushed to get you in an through it all .......an on too the next lot of novice plumbers...

IMHO If I was you I would think very hard at throwing your money at these rip-off courses ...
I say this because with the option they mention of the NVQ2,its totally unrealistic ,as you need on site /work experiance working with a plumber already , an getting a start with a PROPER plumber is like finding rocking horse sh*t......most plumb firms only take on daft young 17/18 yos for labour/donkey work ,some do get put on the training /NVQ courses ...

I would think very hard before you do anything,
what do you want to do at your age in the plumbing industry ,if you want to work for a local plumbing firm ,your best bet is to ring a few an ask if they need labour ,day work
you may get an odd day with some plumber, an if you show willing Im sure the guy will give you more days ,til one needs full time ,also ask in your local plumb merchants for plumbers needing labour ...

IF no luck above

an you fancy self employment why not concentrate on one area of plumbing , jobbing /repair work (broken/blocked toilets /leaks/washing machines etc )

bathroom suite fitting (supply an fit /or just fit the DIY shed suites)

full bathroom suite fitting , (supply an fit suite tile wall an floors )

Mr Jingles

Last edited by Mr Jingles : April 20th 05 at 07:41 PM