Mary Fisher

"Martin Angove" wrote in message

snip

The only sensible way to clean the floor is "wet"

No it isn't. We have filthy boots bringing in mud and chicken **** from
the
garden, I'm not careful when cooking and baking (daily) and am always
dropping stuff - including grease- on the floor. and we have frequent
visits
from children of all ages. Sometiomes I decide to clean the floor, I
sweep
with a handbrush (the kitchen has lots of awkward intrusions) or a long
handled broom in the sitting room then simply wipe over with a damp
cloth.
You NEVER need to wet the surface. Even dried on blood can be wiped off
easily. Might take bit more effort than a beer spill but it's not
onerous -
believe me, I'm not a cleaning freak.

Goodness! I've yet to see the brush which will clean off wet mud without
smearing it all over the place :-)

So have I. I don't sweep wet dirt. It dries.

Actually your method doesn't sound too different to our normal one;
brush then wipe with a damp cloth, but I still counter that some dirt
doesn't respond well to this unless you sit there scratching with your
nails at every bit of dried-on muck.

Well, what kind of dirt do you mean? And I suppose it must depend on how
fussy you are.

This can take quite some time. I
don't envy you your beeswax.

A hair drier and kitchen paper sees to it. Very effective.

In our last house we had quarry tiles in the kitchen. Death to dropped
plates,

Also expensive, cold to bare feet and noisy.

but much easier to clean.

Well ...

If a brush didn't get it off, out with
the wet mop & Flash, a quick slosh over and most things lift off.

The dirt which isn't picked up by the mop are spread round ... I hate mops
with a passion. You can't rinse them effectively so can't rinse the floor
effectively.

I know that I've been a bit flippant about my slovenly habits but when I do
clean I like it to be done very, very well. I sweep, go over with a damp
cloth, rinse the cloth and do it again and again until the cloth is clean.

With laminate floor if you don't do that you'll leave smears. Well, you'll
leave smeared dirt anyway but on laminate it shows.

Mary