Harry B. Pye

Hi Arch,

Harry, there is a way to sell boxes of modest quality at fairs for $5 to
$15. Doing the math it's clear that in order to eat, a subsidy is
necessary. Perhaps a grant to study boxes? Grantees don't have to _do
anything except appear important...lots of time for turning boxes.

But Arch don't you realize that if enough turners applied to our government
for grants our taxes would likely increase in order to fund the grant
program. The next thing you know, bowl turners would be applying for grants
too. Then the guys who turn ornaments would want to get into the act. All
these requests would require additional tax increases. Then we would
probably need a cabinet level group to oversee the grants. Of course this
would no doubt cost at least triple the amount of the grants.

I think your suggestion is irresponsible and very likely to wreck what is
left of our economy.

Spoken with tongue fully imbedded in my cheek,

Harry