Ken Sterling

Hello,

A friend of mine has broke a stud that holds the blade to his old
chainsaw. He has asked around and the part is nolonger available, it's
basically a threaded double ended stud with a flange/flat part way along.

Anyhow, making the part is not the problem, will prrobably be out of
some C12L14 or 4140 I have laying around.

The question is what can I do to it so it doesn't rust in the normal
environment of a chainsaw? What do they usually do to fasteners to
protect it from the environment? That black finish that isn't paint etc?

Thanks, Jeff

Wouldn't worry about rust... The original didn't rust away - it was
probably overtightened and twisted off. Everyone seems to think ya
gotta jump up and down on the bar tightening bolts/nuts...sigh
Ken.