Stephen Bigelow

In article ,
That's the kicker. The pallets I've taken apart used spiral shank nails
and once I *got* them out the surrounding wood was so beat up that I
ended up cutting the pieces down. If I had used a saw in the first place
to just harvest the sections between the fasteners I'd have been way
ahead of the game in time and effort.

I found that the $20 I had to pay to replace my (disposable) jointer
blades, combined with the time spent tearing apart the pallets, cost me
more than the wood itself. (It was the grit embedded in the pallets
that killed the jointer blades, not nails, etc.)

Heck, it isn't even worth cutting these up for firewood -- gotta grab
the file to sharpen the chainsaw after each one. Maybe I just got a bad
batch -- I haven't gone back for more.

Regards,

-Steve
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com