Grady

A short piece of angle iron with a rod welded to it sticking up works better
than the eye. Angle is face down across the ways, rod sticking straight up.
Keep dialing the jaws and rotating the chuck until you quit moving the rod
and angle, then get out the dial indicator or DTI to finish it off. Always
works for me.

"stone" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any great technique for using this sort of beast?

My four jaw chuck has each jaw adjusted separately.
(maybe they're all this way)

But, what I did was turn each jaw out until I thought
they were flush; then I adjusted each jaw symetrically.

Then I spun the thing(by hand), and gauged how close the piece was
to a tool bit, and tweeked from there until it was pretty
much in the center of the jaw.

Is this it?

Or is there a much better way?

Thanks.