Ed Huntress

"Guido" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

Gunner says it's his pride. How about you?

Well there is something there. I recall back in 1982 when the evil
Thatcher had her war with Argentina over some sheep farm. They had news
footage of Harrier jets taking off from carriers and such, and for a
moment there you got into it all "Go, GO, GO". Then you sort of shook
yourself and said "Whoa! What the ****! How have I got sucked into that
****."

Hey, I wonder if you heard that the Falkland War is what put CNN on the map?
Their coverage was terrific. People here were glued to it, as if it was the
Superbowl.

I was working at home at the time and I couldn't tear myself away from it.
It had everything, even the US quietly supplying British ships while
pretending to be neutral, a lot like the beginning of WWII.

Anyway, I'd sit there and watch for footage of the Harriers. I love those
things. It was fantastic. And we hardly saw anyone getting killed! We knew
that the British frigate or whatever it was, the one that was hit by an
Exocet and burned, carried men to their deaths. But the cameras never got
close enough for us to see it. It was all G-rated, and a good time was had
by all.

In its own small way, it may be one of the sickest things was ever done on
TV, and that's saying something. With no blood or carnage it was so easy to
get sucked into the "movie." I think a lot of people watched the first Gulf
War and had the same reaction. The recent one was a little different, but
we've become used to more brutal movies in the meantime, as well.

--
Ed Huntress