Jeff Williams

Default how to protect threaded part

Hello,

A friend of mine has broke a stud that holds the blade to his old
chainsaw. He has asked around and the part is nolonger available, it's
basically a threaded double ended stud with a flange/flat part way along.

Anyhow, making the part is not the problem, will prrobably be out of
some C12L14 or 4140 I have laying around.

The question is what can I do to it so it doesn't rust in the normal
environment of a chainsaw? What do they usually do to fasteners to
protect it from the environment? That black finish that isn't paint etc?

Thanks, Jeff