Jeff Dantzler

Rod Richeson wrote:
Has anyone ever built there own tungsten grinder? I can't see spending
minimum of $200 for a pre-built one. I have all the tools, but have
never seen a tungsten grinder before. Could I just use my dremel and
build a collet system to cut off, then grind a point? I can polish on
the small wheel I have been using. I also have a flax adapter from the
small grinder I have, maybe that would be an option for a t-grinder?

Sure.

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima.../W_grinder.JPG

$15 yard sale grinder not powerful enough for real work.

I use a medium/course silicon carbide green wheel for roughing
and a medium/fine (120) aluminum oxide wheel for final grinding.

Had to make a new side guard.

Nothing touches this grinder except my tungstens. If I have a blob
of metal contaminating the tunsten, that gets ground off on the
belt grinder first. Belt grinder is also great for roughing the
point in.

The one special thing I did on this grinder was to install one of
those "one-way" balancing systems that Lee Valley sells. It was
expensive, but I can balance a nickel on the grinder while I turn
it on and its still there after the wheels stop turning. This along
with a good dressing wheel makes it easier to grind tunstens.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA