Schroeder

Have made many of these chairs, usually out of cedar (mostly heartwood) it
takes only about 2-3 weeks for "rain wet" cedar to dry out in the shop.
Whatever finish you put on it, I recommend a final coat of Arm-R-seal.
Protects from U.V. rays and holds the color of the wood. I HIGHLY recommend
using stainless steel or brass screws and construction adhesive (caulk gun
type for like $1.47) on all the joints. A bead spreads out nicely and it is
a waterproof glue.

Hope this helps...
Schroeder

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:54:06 GMT, "Clint"
wrote:

I'm kind of wondering about this particular project myself (the wife
wants some patio furniture for our new home) So, I figured I'd jump
in while there's an open thread, and add a couple of questions. So,
does red aromatic cedar have the same weather resistant properties as
the dull white/brown variety, and is moisture content of the wood as
important if it is jointed with deck screws instead of glue? (To
clarify, I intend to use traditional joinery, with screws in addition
to wood glue for that little extra bit of protection from the
elements)

Also, is it better to use a finish like shellac, or to just get
something like Thompsons water seal (or whatever other deck
weatherproofing product floats your boat)?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam