World Traveler

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
... This practice will not lead to thatch, which is
something many people seem to worry about, but few lawns actually
suffer from. The finely ground up leaf material quickly decomposes
and is beneficial to the soil. The only way this would create a
problem is if there is so much of it that it actually covers the
grass and acts like a mulch. If you're doing that, then you're
mulching too much and need to remove some by other means.

Very true and something few people seem to know. The thatch industry
seems to have created a non-monster.

I agree with the advice to have the soil tested, particularly for PH
and adjust as needed. For routine maintenance, spot weed control is
all that should be required. It's more effective and less harmful for
the environment.

Good advice.

Use a pre-emergent crab grass control/fertilizer in
the spring.

Most everyone around me is concerned with crab grass. After many years
of no control, I have no more or less than anyone else has. The crabgrass
control industry is another one that has created a much bigger problem
than real. I would guess far more than half of all crabgrass control uses
is not needed. My cats tell me they are doing their job of keeping the
elephants out of my home, and I guess they are right, I have not yet seen
a one. :-)

Spot treat weeds and deal with any insect problems if
necessary in the summer. Don't apply fertilizer during the summer,
wait till late summer/early fall. Do one app then, another late Oct
and you're lawn should do fine.

I have to agree with that. I will add that most people cut their grass
too short, especially in the hot dry summer. Even if you water, don't cut
the stuff short. Most grasses do better growing 3-4 inches long and they
handle heat, water and weeds much better under those conditions.

All of my comments here apply to areas with similar grass soils and
weather as mine. Since these factors are far different in different
areas, universal statement are seldom really universal.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

I'd add the concept of "Weed-and-Feed" as another example of marketing that
has won out over common sense. -- Regards --