On my lawn, which is surrounded by forest on 3 sides, I've always
removed most leaves by blowing/raking, but I'd say I probably mulch up
about 20% or so with a mower while continuing to cut it through
November. I live in NJ and never had a problem because of it and my
lawn looks great. This practice will not lead to thatch, which is
something many people seem to worry about, but few lawns actually
suffer from. The finely ground up leaf material quickly decomposes and
is beneficial to the soil. The only way this would create a problem is
if there is so much of it that it actually covers the grass and acts
like a mulch. If you're doing that, then you're mulching too much and
need to remove some by other means.

I agree with the advice to have the soil tested, particularly for PH
and adjust as needed. For routine maintenance, spot weed control is
all that should be required. It's more effective and less harmful for
the environment. Use a pre-emergent crab grass control/fertilizer in
the spring. Spot treat weeds and deal with any insect problems if
necessary in the summer. Don't apply fertilizer during the summer,
wait till late summer/early fall. Do one app then, another late Oct
and you're lawn should do fine.