Walter Cohen

I had thought that steel would be required due to a potential fire
originating in the garage area. I suppose local codes dictate what is
necessary and acceptable.

The door now is solid wood. The main problem I really want to address is
that there is no bottom saddle/threshold to the door and cold/warm air (or
even auto exhaust fumes) passes freely underneath the door in the 1/4" or so
space between the cement floor and wood door.

As far as putting in a saddle I'd probably need to trim the bottom of the
existing door some and drill/anchor the saddle to the floor.

Thanks,
Walter
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
International Residential Code 2000
Section R309 Garages and Carports
R309.1 Opening protection.
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping
purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between garage and
residence shall be equipped with a solid wood door not less than 1 3/8
inch in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel door not less than 1
3/8 inches thick, or 20 minute fire rated door.

TB

Yep. The garage door the leads to my family room
is solid wood, and heavy as hell. Most of the
houses I've been in that were built at the same
time use solid wood doors for that purpose. My
entrance doors are steel, but this door has the
same look as all of the other interior doors.