wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the proper way to tap into a gas line? I want to run a line
out to my deck for my grill. I have access to all the gas lines around
the furnace, etc.

I imagine that a shutoff valve at the split as well as a shutoff on the
deck is necessary.

What kind of gas line? LPG? NG?

First, run a proper gas diametric, using the right charts for the type of
pipe you will use, and the pipe you have.
Make sure you have the total BTU of the grill, as this will determine into
the factor of the line size.
Once you have done that, taking the distance, BTU, line type into
consideration and sized your line correctly,
then, after determining where you are going to tap into the line, and
upsizing the feed to that point if needed, put you a T in, and as soon as
you come off it find a good place to put your union if needed, and a 1.4
turn gas valve. Feed your line to your grille, and if you plan on buring the
line, insure that you have the depth deep enough per your local code. Insure
that if the lines buried, you have protected the pipe properly and then,
when you turn up the line to your grill, if it was me, I would put a
secondary valve as before, another union if needed AND a secondary regulator
as many times it is the code to have one at the appliance. If its not
needed, I would still do it in the rare case that your main regulator would
fail, OR if you have a 2psi system it will be needed anyway. This is just
insurance to prevent a flare up should you have a main failure....it can and
does happen, altho it is very rare.

Main thing is to do it right. Protect yourself and your family, friends and
neighbors. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but follow any codes, pull
any permits and have it inspected should your area demand it by code. If it
does, also please take the time to see if you will need to get a licenced
pipefitter (read, NOT a plumber) to do the work.