Goedjn

HotRod wrote:
1) I have an electric motor, I think it's 1/2 horse, that runs my Band Saw.
Right now it has two sets of pulleys so that I can either change the belt to
fast or slow. I'm wondering if it's possible to add a switch to the power
supply so that I can dial in the speed of the motor? Is it possible to use a
light dimmer switch or will I just kill the motor. Any ideas? I change up
between sheet metal and wood a lot and it would be a lot easier to just dial
down the speed for the 2 minutes I'm cutting the sheet metal.

It won't hurt the motor but it will probably burn up a light dimmer
switch. Try to find something heartier.

I got a dimmer switch that will work:
Cast Iron, weighs about 12 pounds. Rated for 860 wats.
But you gotta be willing to pay antique rates, and shipping.

Rebuilding the transmission so you can move the belt easily will
be cheaper.

Or steal the foot-pedal from someone's sewing machine.