G Henslee

Joe S wrote:
What's your preference and why?

If it matters, I'm also doing the ceiling.

Joe

First off, mortar is number one. But applying mortar for walls is
definately not for an amatuer. As for your choices, I quit using
Durock, Wonderboard, Crumblecrap (whatever name it goes by now) a long
time ago. I use nothing but Hardibacker for floors and recommend it for
counter tops, tubs and shower wall substrate. it's just a superior
product and easier to use IMHO.

For installing the backerboard it helps immensley if you make sure your
walls are plumb and the enclosure is square. Run a straightedge
horizontally across the studs to check for any that may be bowed as
well, and correct that beforehand.