World Traveler

Pavers and walkways are a good example of the 90 /10 rule. You can do 90%
of the work in 10% of the time. if 90% is good enough for you, fine, but it
will still look like a homeowner weekend project rather than a compliment to
your house.

It depends upon the appearance you want to achieve. Actually, I think the
large 24" x 24" blocks aren't really intended for a professional paving
block installation. Lots of folks just space the blocks out like stepping
stones and the result is just that -- a homeowner's low cost walkway -- not
that there's anything wrong with that -- . If you're trying to do a solid
long walkway or a patio you'll have problems keeping the large blocks level
from block to block. The smaller interlocking pavers are much easier to
install in that respect.

But before you decide, I suggest you also find a professional installation
of interlocking pavers (the small, interlocking kind) which will show you
what is possible. A well-done paving block walk or patio is very handsome.
An installation of this type should go a long ways in improving the
appearance of your walkway and a visitor's impression of your house.

I've added a paving block patio, walkway and also "blocked" the south and
east perimeter of the house, adding built in sections for gardens. I went
the full route, with pavers, a bed of screening, tamping, etc., and we
wouldn't have been satisfied by just putting down the 24 x 24 blocks on
unprepared soil.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Do it the easy way if you want I did several times and no problems. The
24x24 are thick and wont break just make them so they dont rock. Alot
of DIY info is overkill.