Julie P.

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:33:38 -0500, Dan C
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:26:22 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from
the
inside?

Should be from the outside. Some units have a selector switch for
fresh/recirculate.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer.

Any window unit made in the last 20+ years will have an adjustable flap
that allows some outside air to be mixed in to the room air passing over
the cooling fins. You can adjust it so that it is taking mostly outside
air all the way to no outside air.

Strange, I can't find this on any of my four air conditioners (3 Daewoo, and
1 Whirlpool). And all were bought new in the past 1-3 years!

For efficiency purposes related to cooling, you would want to close out
the
outside air so you are just cooling inside air over and over.

Except when you are running the fan only setting and it is cooler outside
than inside!