Doug Miller

In article , wrote:

Intermittent ground in the flaky outlet box? Offhand, you'd think that since
a ground isn't necessary for GFCI operation, you wouldn't need one for testing,
but I'm at a loss (at least until the caffeine kicks in) how one could test
GFCI operation without a ground to fault to...

While that might explain the test button on the GFCI not working, how about
the test button on my plug-in tester? That tripped the GFCI _every_time_.

--
Regards,