Prometheus

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:21:16 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Prometheus wrote in
:

snip
I'm kind of wondering about this particular project myself (the wife
wants some patio furniture for our new home) So, I figured I'd jump
in while there's an open thread, and add a couple of questions. So,
does red aromatic cedar have the same weather resistant properties as
the dull white/brown variety, and is moisture content of the wood as
important if it is jointed with deck screws instead of glue? (To
clarify, I intend to use traditional joinery, with screws in addition
to wood glue for that little extra bit of protection from the
elements)

Also, is it better to use a finish like shellac, or to just get
something like Thompsons water seal (or whatever other deck
weatherproofing product floats your boat)?

'Cedar' covers a multitude of vaguely related woods. You should check with
your local suppliers, and see what the deck and fence folks are using for
their higher end work, and look at the economics of that.

The only stuff I'm interested in working is what they carry at the
local hardwood supplier- it is a very deep red/purple with strips of
white and black in it. There's a link a picture of the specific
species I have access to right he

http://www.harmonycedar.com/images/c...-grain-500.jpg

It comes in 4/4 stock, and is kiln dried- so there should be no
problems with waiting for it to dry out. While I can't say that money
is no object, I'm not terribly concerned about the price of a set of
deck chairs and a little table. I think this stuff is about $2-3/bf.
I can't afford to hunt down Teak or Honduran mahogany or anything like
that, but cedar should be appropriate to the application in any case.
My second choice is Redwood from the lumberyard a little ways down the
road. Also not a bank-breaker, but it doesn't have as much character
as the cedar.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam