HerHusband

I'm a homeowner. I was thinking of finishing my basement.
a homeowner can do any of it, but needs to take a test on the
Electrical codes and Plumbing codes after applying for permit

Interesting... Around here I can do all of my own work without taking any
kind of test. But, the final job must be up to code and pass the
inspection.

I've never had any problem passing an inspection, but based on the looks
the inspectors give when they first read "homeowner wired" on the permit,
I'm guessing they see a lot of really bad work by homeowners.

are there any recommended books I should pick up

"Code Check Electrical" and "Code Check Plumbing" (both by Redwood Kardon)
do a good job of condensing the code down to something readable. But,
there's a LOT of information in there. It's easy to skip over important
codes, so read and reread them.

"Wiring Simplified" by Richter/Schwan/Hartwell is also good at explaining
the basics and is often found in the electrical section of hardware stores.

As for plumbing, my two favorites are "The Complete Guide to Home Plumbing"
by Black and Decker, and "Plumbing - Basic, Intermediate & Advanced
Projects" by Merle-Henkenius". Neither are real deep on code information,
but they're both good references for planning new projects. Lot's
of pictures...

in the real world, I would have been continuously following
the advice of books and/or tips.

Same here... No matter how much I "think" I may know about an upcoming
project, I still "go to the books" and re-educate myself before starting a
project.

Good luck!

Anthony