The Natural Philosopher

Steve wrote:

Does anybody have any experience of laying slabs like these? Any advice
or tips to help me survive this job would be very welcome.

Yup.

I laid my sandstone slabs - and teh big uns were about 55kg each - on a
wet bed of about 7:1 sharp sand and (white in my case) cement, after
roughly levelling with hardcore MOT type I and gravel.

By getting the consitency right, and its rather critical - and using
about 1-2" of the 'mortar' I could tap them down with a mallet, and the
excess oozed off.

I washed each slab carefull with a wet sponge wrung out in fresh water
every wipe, carefully, leaving only a slight cement film to cleam off
with brick acid when dry.

Joints were 'grouted' with the same muck at the same time.

Dot and dab is IMHO a naff way to do it as its very easy to get rock and
collapse. But if a quick'n'dirty is what you want, got for it.

TIA

Steve