nicoll

Thanks for reply Andrew.

For my existing setup I bought a couple of BT extensions cut one end off and
connected it to the cat 5 via a terminal block. I will try crimping a RJ45
plug onto the extension to make my own patch lead.

My mistake about the broadband router, it is in the cupboard and is
connected to the BT ASDL socket with the two leads and couplers I mentioned
and isn't very tidy. The RJ45-RJ11 patch lead is to make this connection
with a single short lead.

Looks like I will have to do a bit of adapting.

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"nicoll" writes:
I have run in cat5E cable from our stair cupboard to various rooms in the
house. I use these for a network and for our analogue telephone line
extensions.

The terminations are a bit of botch at the moment and I intend to fit a
small patch panel and terminate all cat5E cables in the panel. The
remote
end of each cat 5 cable will be terminated in a RJ45 outlet.

Searching the web I'm struggling to find and easy way to patch our BT
phone
lines to the panel.
I have found RJ45 plugs to BT sockets which would allow me to plug a
phone
into a RJ45 outlet. But at the panel end I want the opposite a BT plug to
RJ45 socket to fit in the BT socket so I can then patch to the panel. Do
these things exist or is there and easier way to achieve what I want.

I made them using an RJ45 plug, and a BT phone plug on a patch cable.
Actually, I managed to get two patch cables into the RJ45, thus giving
me up to two phone circuits over each cat 5 4-pair.

There appears to be no standard for mapping the phone connections to
RJ45 pins. I found 3 different manufacturer's adapters, and they all
used different mappings.

Secondly to connect my broadband router to the patch panel I'd like a
RJ11
to RJ45 patch lead. At the moment I'm doing this with a two leads and a
RJ11
to BT coupler connected to a BT to RJ45 coupler.

Not sure why you want to route the broadband across the house.
I suggest putting your master socket, broadband router and hub
all in the stair cupboard.

I hope if standard parts are available I won't have problems with
connecting
the correct pairs.

For phone over RJ45, there is no standard.

--
Andrew Gabriel