Knotbob

My wife calls that character. Or at least that's what she says when
it's a beloved nephew or niece that does the damage.
It could be run through a planer that was big enough (36" is huge
for hobbiest) or a drum sander. I have one that sands 16" wide but it's
open ended and you can turn the piece around and run the other side.
The 4"s left in the middle will have to be hand sanded or belt sanded.
****Be very careful of who you let belt sand it. If you've ever
operated a floor buffing machine or a floor sander......it can be a
little wild like that in the hands of someone that just came home from
Home Depot with their very first beltsander.
I'm just getting familiar with hand planes and cabinet scrapers but
these would do it too and just about anybody that knows how to use them
will also have a genuine fondness for things made of wood and can
probably make you very happy.
Hope that helps.
Robert Smith
Jacksonville, Fl.

At some point you will have to quit and be satisfied with what you've
got.
Harry Everhart wrote:
Hi -

I posted this item before - I thought I would post it again.

I have a yellow pine "this end up" dinette set. It is 10 years old.

We
moved recently and because of my poor job packing - a piece of metal

of
was scratching the table top in near one corner for 1100 miles.

The table is finished with some kind of oil finish.

I have tried sanding the area but the scratches are still about 1/16
inch deep.

We really like this 3 x 5 table top and want to simply sand it smooth

and put a durable finish on it. We eat three meals a day on it.

We would get rid of it - but it is very sturdy plus we have all the
other furniture that "matches" it.

The top is about one inch thick of solid wood. Around the edges there

are three inches of thickness of the same boards.

Would you please give me some sincere suggestions?

I have considered taking it to a local wood shop and getting it

planed
down. Would that be expensive?

Would it be cheaper for me to buy a planer and do it myself?

I am retired and have the time.

What would you do? Please don't say go out and get a "bitchin"

dinette
set for $6000.

Harry