Bill Daly

Harry,

You can raise the scratches by steaming. Just wet the area, place a wet
cloth on top, borrow Mums iron and steam away taking care not to scorch..
Maybe practice on a bit of scrap first, I think you will be amazed. You
will then need to sand (by hand maybe) the residual scratch marks and
re-oil.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Bill
New Zealand

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message
Hi -

I posted this item before - I thought I would post it again.

I have a yellow pine "this end up" dinette set. It is 10 years old. We
moved recently and because of my poor job packing - a piece of metal of
was scratching the table top in near one corner for 1100 miles.

The table is finished with some kind of oil finish.

I have tried sanding the area but the scratches are still about 1/16
inch deep.

We really like this 3 x 5 table top and want to simply sand it smooth
and put a durable finish on it. We eat three meals a day on it.

We would get rid of it - but it is very sturdy plus we have all the
other furniture that "matches" it.

The top is about one inch thick of solid wood. Around the edges there
are three inches of thickness of the same boards.

Would you please give me some sincere suggestions?

I have considered taking it to a local wood shop and getting it planed
down. Would that be expensive?

Would it be cheaper for me to buy a planer and do it myself?

I am retired and have the time.

What would you do? Please don't say go out and get a "bitchin" dinette
set for $6000.

Harry