lgb

In article ,
says...
if OP's interacted with the responders to their threads, within a
reasonable time frame, so that those who took the time to answer their
question(s)(or posted an opinion that was requested) wouldn't feel they
were wasting their time?

Seems to me that's just common decency. Wouldn't a day be about the
right time frame to expect the OP to post either his general "thanks" or
ask more questions, or debate some issues raised by the responders?

In the early days of usenet and its predecessors, such posting was
considered a waste of bandwidth. If someone posted thanks, especially
to each and every responder, he would get flamed.

I still occasionally see a question with "TIA" or "Thanks in advance" in
it. I've even used it myself.

I'm not saying that explains it all, or even most. But it is a reason
that you might not be aware of.