mac davis

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:25:52 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Mac, oh yes you _are worthy, cheer up. The qualities of craft that mean
so much to you might mean less to the buyers at the fair. Remember that
a fair is not a show and tell display of talent at your club. Venue for
turnings is like location for real estate; everything!

One of the craft qualities that people look for at a fair is a nicely
finished (aka affordable) price tag. People usually want to buy
something at a fair, but they usually want an inexpensive memento of the
day that need not be junky trash nor fine art. I suspect your present
work fits nicely in between.

I wish your wife had taken an exit poll a few booths away to get a true
"reality check" and report it here. You, a woodturner, would probably
be the last to know.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch.. that's exactly what we were thinking this afternoon...
The stuff that I'm learning on is all from free or cheap firewood, so it could
be sold inexpensively.. also, most are small items like boxes, mini-goblets and
small bowls, so they would fit into your "momento" category...

My wife brought up one point today... that she really doesn't know anyone that
buys "art"... and especially not at a fair..
Our neighbor made the point well when she said that most folks look at all the
expensive stuff and think it's cool.. then pick up something for $20 or less to
take home..

My main focus, besides getting better, of course, is that you'd have to sell a
TON of $5 to $20 items to made a buck after paying for the booth, etc..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing