Greg

Tom Gardner nospam Apr 18, 9:07 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: "Tom Gardner" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:07:50 GMT
Subject: Clausing drill press info
original | Report Abuse

I was in need of a multi-spindle drill for a couple of operations and
of
course I immediately called Joe at Autodrill. Joe taught me multi
drilling
101 and quoted several solutions. So, I start looking for a drill
press to
run Joe's head and found this Clausing at the used machine supermarket
for
$500. Unfortunately for Joe it just happened to have a "Commander
Multi-Drill #900" 6 spindle head. (Sorry, Joe)

The drill press, model 2224, doesn't fit the current offerings from
Clausing
and I'm hoping to find a manual and parts list. It has a 1.5 hp 3 ph
motor
and a gear-driven feed. I'm thinking of putting the head on another
drill
press and putting this one in the machine shop 'cause it is just sooo
sweet!
It has a slotted oil-pan table and has to weigh 700 lbs.

Does anyone have one of these drill presses or drill heads that can
share
some info? I will try to get some info from Clausing and Multi-Drill.

Good buy. The commander model 900 is a good unit. The current model is
probably a little diferent than what you have. They changed the
driveshafts to slip on hex models.
It can take up to 8 spindles, has a 3 HP capacity and doubles the speed
of the drills. *-3/8" drlling area or 22-1/2" with extension spindles.
Reynolds Machine Tool (RMT) owns them. damn expensive parts. They will
send you a catalogue or fax info. Look them up on the web also. I have
about 40 heads in our plant and along time ago used to be the guy
tasked with fixing and tooling them.

Clausing should still have parts and manuals for this drill press,
although they are now even more crazy expensive. Good luck.