Martin Whybrow

Default Lifting table from milling machine

The ongoing saga of my (originally) cheap Sturdimill 1250 continues!
I've discovered that the manually operated way-lube pump on the table is not
connected to anything after operating the pump and lubricating nothing but
my shoe. There is supposed to be a pipe from the pump output to a manifold
buried underneath the table; unfortunately the pipe from the manifold ends
about 6" from the pump and there is no way to replace or join the pipe
without removing the table. The table is 50" x 10" x approx. 2" deep, so I
figure it weighs less than 300lbs (not accounting for the missing metal in
the T slots), so I can lift it with my 550lb hoist. It appears that I need
to unbolt the 2 leadscrew bearing plates from either end of the table, slide
out the taper gib and the table is then free to lift; have I missed
anything? Will the dovetail, at its widest point (where the gib is
thinnest), lift out of the mating dovetail on the knee? Does anyone have
experience lifting the table from a similar size mill and care to comment on
the pitfalls of doing this?
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom