Default Permit for finished basement req. electrical and Plumbing test...What books to read?

I'm a homeowner. I was thinking of finishing my basement. For some
crazy reason, I thought I'd do it via permits rather than without. All
my friends and my parents have either done them without or with a small
contractor who also didn't pull permits. Anyway, I called the local
building code office to ask about fees, schedules, etc. They tell me
that a homeowner can do any of it, but needs to take a test on the
Electrical codes and Plumbing codes after applying for permit and
before recieving go ahead. When asked what material to study, they
said just visit a library and they would have the code books. All
right, Here's my beef. I want to finish my basement and run 2-3 new
circuits. I have a rough in for the plumbing sticking up through the
floor. I don't want to be a contractor, electrician or plumber by
trade. I never intend to rough in my own plumbing, attach the main
drain, add a sub panel, work on anyone else's house. I want to do
about 3 weeks work(mostly finish). The books they are talking about
are the raw code books that I would need to memorize if I wanted to
build a damn skyscraper. OK, rant done. Well, I said I would do it
thr proper way and rather than admit to my friends and family that I
should have just snuck it, I will. So finally, are there any
recommended books I should pick up to do prepare for the test? One
thing that strikes me about the test is that it is probably not open
book, yet in the real world, I would have been continuously following
the advice of books and/or tips. thanks for your help.