Gunner

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:24:38 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Easy, no problem.
You'll be able to see the flex in the smaller part of the boom.
*Balancing* becomes much trickier w/ the boom stuck way out. Watch the
legs!! Also, watch the markings on the legs, which indicate their maximum
extension, which is surprisingly narrow in the back.
Try to do as much as you can w/ the boom in.

Also wouldn't hurt to get a decent swivel hook/shackle for these things.
Or, some heavy chain w/ the "replaceable" screw-type links, both at HD or
any good hardware store, to make grabbing/rigging/strapping easier. Also
note that you will occasionally need to "balance" a load, which needs much
*less* heavy chain/rope/straps.

Oh, bleeve me, ahm no 'spert, I've done just a cupla moves, but boyoboy,
what moves they were!! Goodgawd...
Wish I knew more more!

If you can find a good lanyard (a nylon strap with loops on both ends
rated for at least 2500 lbs) its far preferable than chain for picking
things up. It will seldom slip and will not scar or mar machined
surfaces or paint. I carry one in my truck at all times. I encounter
lots of folks with fork lifts, but few with any way to pick things up.

Get a lanyard at least 36" long. If its too long, simply wrap it
around your lifting point. This is long enough to grab a balance
point, or go completly around a lathe bed so it will be choked and not
slide. Mine is 48" long and is rated at 5000 lbs.

When lifting a lathe, lay the center of the lanyard over the top of
the ways, close to the headstock, then bring both ends under the ways
and back up through the center of the ways evenly. This prevents the
lathe from sliding as the lanyard chokes it solidly. lift an inch or
two, and move both your tailstock and carraige to the tailstock end
until it balances level.

Remember..never pick it up high until you are AT the trailer. You only
need an inch of clearance, and if the rig falls, nothing is damaged
except your underwear. If you push your hoist too fast, the machine
will swing. LOWER IT NOW!!! if fit starts swinging too much. You can
pick it up again.

If all you have is chain..scarf up some pieces of old carpet to place
around the metal bits before wrapping it with chain. NEVER lift
without making at least one full wrap around the lifting point, if its
not a lifting eye or shackle. If you simply loop it under and hook, it
can slide, go off balance and you are then well and truely ****ed.

I can go on for another hour about rigging. Shrug.

The #1 thing to remember about lifting heavy ****, is :

Stay out from under it. Remember if something breaks, it may not fall
straight down, and if you or your toes are in the way....

The #2 thing to remember about lifting heavy ****:

If something turns to ****...RUN! Dont hang around and try to stop it
from falling. Never stand where you have no place to run away.
Period. Ever. Never.

Stop. Think. Think again. Proceed. Slowly.
Repeat as necessary.

Gunner: 750 mile road trip to deliver a 1800lb OmniTurn CNC/Hardinge
Chucker retrofit, to an RCM poster , set it up, familiarize him with
it and return home, in less than 24 hours, over this past weekend.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke