D Murphy

Koz wrote in news:Vt6dnap38oCMaP7fRVn-
:

Just got an F150 4wd extended cab that is a little higher than what I
used to drive. I need to add some running boards/steps.

The problem is the "wife to be" has rheumatoid arthritis which makes the
climb a little difficult at times. Looking around at commercially
available steps and running boards, it seems that you gain only about 4
inches in reduced step height. This may be a little too high still on
the "bad" days.

Anyone know of a brand that hangs a tad bit lower than the others?
Dropping a good 6 inches would be nice and would still be only slightly
lower than the frame (I don't intend to need super high clearance for
off road stuff)

*metalworking content* I could fab my own but I'm not sure it's worth
the hassle consdering the bolt-ons available (assuming I can find a
slightly lower set). The other option is modifying a mount spacer to
make an off the shelf unit sit a little lower. Anyone built their own
or have any comments on the mount/system to lower the step up? I'd love
to use a lineal actuator to make a lowering step but I think that's a
project that would never get past the planning stage due to time. RV
versions of this tend to be a little spendy and will probably be a bit
of a hassle to mount.

The problem with lowering is that you have less ground clearance and the
running board is likely to snag on stuff. Have you looked at the kits for
the powered ones?
http://trucktoys4less.com/pobybe.html

--

Dan