Koz

Default Sorta off topic: F150 running boards

Just got an F150 4wd extended cab that is a little higher than what I
used to drive. I need to add some running boards/steps.

The problem is the "wife to be" has rheumatoid arthritis which makes the
climb a little difficult at times. Looking around at commercially
available steps and running boards, it seems that you gain only about 4
inches in reduced step height. This may be a little too high still on
the "bad" days.

Anyone know of a brand that hangs a tad bit lower than the others?
Dropping a good 6 inches would be nice and would still be only slightly
lower than the frame (I don't intend to need super high clearance for
off road stuff)

*metalworking content* I could fab my own but I'm not sure it's worth
the hassle consdering the bolt-ons available (assuming I can find a
slightly lower set). The other option is modifying a mount spacer to
make an off the shelf unit sit a little lower. Anyone built their own
or have any comments on the mount/system to lower the step up? I'd love
to use a lineal actuator to make a lowering step but I think that's a
project that would never get past the planning stage due to time. RV
versions of this tend to be a little spendy and will probably be a bit
of a hassle to mount.

Koz