Ben Gold

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Ben Gold wrote:

Right, but my question was does anyone have a technique to keeping wood
dry?

Like say I made a wood table for my patio. Instead of dealing with
pressure-treated wood and solutions like that, I was thinking of having
some sort of rubber/plastic footings (say 1" high) to keep the wood off
the concrete.

My question is what do people do when the build wood that is going to
sit on concrete to remedy the problem? Any specific materials or
techniques?

Stop. You're focussing on the wrong problem. FORGET THE CONCRETE.
CONCRETE IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Your problem is keeping the wood dry.

Every outdoor wood I've seen corroded first wherever it rested or was
attached to concrete. Yes, I'm new to building outdoor things, so calm
down. I understand that I should build with water-resistant wood. Maybe
I'm overly afraid of the water/concrete thing. Thanks for all your
helpful info.

If you're looking to do this on the cheap, then don't do it. If you've
never done this sort of thing before and your budget is so tight that decay
resistant wood is going to break the bank, then trust me, you're going to
run out money halfway through.

Please don't make assumptions that lack of experience in building makes
me cheap or poor (not poor! oh no!). I don't like pressure-treated
wood. I didn't say I wouldn't use the appropriate wood, just not
pressure treated. Or I'd like avoid it for a table or furniture at
least.

-Ben