Duane Bozarth

Harry Everhart wrote:

In article ,
Duane Bozarth wrote:
Maybe not for you specifically, but certainly for some it will be (and
can be a major cost differential). As in virtually everything, to
generalize from a particular case is, in general, wrong...

It is better to cite examples - rather than to generalize off the top of
your head without any facts at all to back it up :-)

I've facts...although I don't recall the exact number off hand and I'm
not going to go look it up, the wood roof rider for this house is
roughly 20% of the premium. When I was looking at the re-roof, I
checked on what the reduction would be if converted to Class B or
C--turns out it wasn't short enough time to pay back the differential in
cost of the retrofit from an open-deck roofing system to make it worth
it imo. But, anyway, the annual premium differential now is roughly
$200/an. We're rural so that's part of it as well, of course. What it
would be if we were inside the city fire coverage I can't say ottomh.

My point remains that to generalize that there is no premium anywhere,
is simply wrong. Whether you think 20% major or not I can't judge. I
do know that some other rural areas in the vicinity that are even
further removed from fire services are quite a bit more than we're
paying although I don't have exact figures.

I have no idea where you are, but iirc, at one time there was a
tremendous premium in some Houston suburbs where a great number of large
houses were built almost eave-to-eave w/ cedar shake roofs. After a
fire took out the original plus several more in the neighborhood from
both direct spreading to neighboring roofs and even a few from
wind-carried sparks/embers, there was a major revamping of requirements
in several such communities.