SJF

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

New at this lawn mowing "fun".

Need to purchase a mower, of the walk-behind, self propelled type.
Looked a bit at Toro and Craftsman

Re Toro:

Went to look at new walk behind, self propelled mowers at the local Toro
dealer. Really don't want to go much over $300.

He had a "Recycler" model (not the Super Recycler), model 20005 that looks
like it would be a good match for me.

But, he told me it was only one walking speed. Sort of that "it moves, or
doesn't". No variable walking speed. But on looking at their flyer under
Drive System:, it says for this model "Variable Speed, Front Wheel Drive".
(this is Not one of their Personal-Pace models)

So, my questions are, please:

a. Does it have what can be considered a variable walking speed ? If so,

how
does one control it ?

b. Does it work well ?

c. Any other opinions on Toro in general ?

Craftsman:
Also looked at the Craftsman 37657 that has what they call a "Vari Speed

EZ
Walk" feature.

The Craftsman, for about the same cost, "seems" like a better bet than the
Toro because of this variable speed walking feature that is apparently

very
simply controlled by a squeeze handle.

a. Would be appreciative as to opinions on this Craftsman model, and how
well their EZ Walk Feature works ?

b. And, I guess also general opinions on Toro vs Craftsman (in the $300
range) regarding quality, etc.

Thanks,

Bob

I agree with others that, if you're young and husky and have a level yard,
you don't need the mechanical complexity and prospect of earlier need
repairs that go with a self propelled mower. However, I'm not young and
parts of my yard have significant slope. I love that Craftsman with the
squeeze-lever speed control that I bought two years ago. I don't find it
difficult to find the speed that my aging body feels comfortable with. ---
SJF