a12vman

I currently have 4 Ceiling Mount supply vents and no returns. The Returns
runs right alongside the supply trunk(right down the middle of the house) so
does it make sense to have the cold air returns that close to the supply
vents?

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am currently finishing 75 % of my basement area. The remainder of

the
area will remain unifinished (all the mechanicals and some storage).

The
foundation is block and I do have a sump pump so things are dry. As a

last
step in the project I plan to install carpet. I do have a decent size
dehumidifier to keep the moisture level down. Is there a humidity

threshold
that I should stay at or below to avoid the musty smell that could

develop
over time? My house is 7 years old and I do have Central Air.

However,
there are no cold air return vents in the basement.

You say that you are finishing your basement, and there are no cold air
returns. I assume you have or are adding vents for A/C and heat, right?
If they're at floor level, as opposed to in the ceiling, and if the air
can return upstairs (no closed doors), that should help.

Since your mechanicals are there, it shouldn't be hard to add an air
return.