Jeff

"JustMe" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am completing a basement conversion. I have a compact, silent,

electronic
electric meter down there, but the gas meter is one of the chunky

mechanical
types (manufacturer "Schlumberger"). The problem is that it can be rather
noisy, giving off a high-pitched whine sound when gas is being used and
making a knocking sound, presumably as the meter turns.

My question is whether this is serviceable or whether the only way to
eliminate such a noise would be to replace the gas meter. It states on the
meter that it is the "Property of Transco".

I assume that neither is an acceptable DIY job, given the nature of

working
with gas and my inexperience in such matters.

That being the case, who would I contact about either route (if

applicable)?

Phone Transco, I had a new meter within 2 hours, and then another and then
they decided that the pipe needed pumping out. It was the pumping that cured
the noise problem, apparantly they introduce a small amount of oil into the
system to keep there valves etc lubed, this can collect in certain areas (
my pipe ) and give the same symptoms as you have.
Took 3 months, 4 visits, 2 meters and a big compressor but they got there in
the end.

Regards Jeff