David Hearn

JustMe wrote:
Greetings,

I am completing a basement conversion. I have a compact, silent,
electronic electric meter down there, but the gas meter is one of the
chunky mechanical types (manufacturer "Schlumberger"). The problem is
that it can be rather noisy, giving off a high-pitched whine sound
when gas is being used and making a knocking sound, presumably as the
meter turns.

My question is whether this is serviceable or whether the only way to
eliminate such a noise would be to replace the gas meter. It states
on the meter that it is the "Property of Transco".

I assume that neither is an acceptable DIY job, given the nature of
working with gas and my inexperience in such matters.

That being the case, who would I contact about either route (if
applicable)?

TIA.

Replacing the meter is not a DIY job as obtaining a new gas meter may be
tricky to other than Transco. Also the meter number of old and new meters
needs to be logged and put into 'the system'. Ours was changed 2 years ago
when we moved into our place and the digital display on the old one was
unreadable (crazed plastic on the display). Transco were around within 45
minutes and changed the meter within 15. The new meter already had a
non-zero reading on it, so that was logged and passed onto our supplier and
our bills carried on without any problem. Doing it yourself would cause a
problem with the first meter reading.

David