Dave Solly

"peter" wrote in news:G%x6e.11920$9i7.8262@trnddc04:

My roof is due for replacement and I'm wondering if I should stick
with cedar shake (what it has now) or go for composition roofing. What
are the pros and cons?

If I'm the only house with composition roofing in the same complex,
how would that affect the resale price of my house and of my
neighbor's house?

If your home owners assoc. doesn't forbid the composition roof, then go
with it. In my HOA composition roofing was forbidden until a fire broke
out at a house, and 4 neighboring houses caught fire from the sparks
hitting the cedar roofs.

My home owners insurance was going to increase after the fire unless I
got a composition roof. Now, everyone in the HOA has a composition roof,
or metal, or concreate, or tile. No one has a cedar roof.

It used to cost me about $300 per year for someone to climb up on the
roof and replace split/missing shakes. Now I don't have that cost either.

You will probably have to increase your attic venting if you don't go
with cedar, since most cedar roofs are not air tight, until it rains and
the shakes swell up.

Just my thoughts.

Dave