Tom Watson

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:31:52 -0500, j walker wrote:

Why isn't the calculation above (1-1/2 + 1-1/2) x 8 = 24

Because you have eight joists with two ends apiece.

This gives you your theoretical point load.

The most important thing that I said in the post, and why I repeated
it, is that you should get an engineer in on this.

Clarke and Bozarth have responded with math that does not take into
consideration the stresses and loads that are involved in this.

What you are describing is an unusual load situation that is beyond
the capabilities of most onsite guys. I would want to be very
particular in my inquiry that the stresses could be absorbed all the
way down to the foundation level.

You are contemplating sitting a huge mass of potential energy in a
position that can do great damage if things go wrong.

Good luck with it.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)