no(SPAM)vasys

AAvK wrote:

What is the problem with waxed shellac anyway? Why the preferences
for the dewaxed variety?

If shellac is used as a barrier coat wax may cause adhesion problems
with the top coat.

Most of the problems people often associate with a shellac finish are
caused by the use of shellac containing wax. For instance, I've
experimented with shellac by taking a scrap piece of black walnut
finished with dewaxed shellac. I poured a puddle of water on the
finished piece, set a glass in the puddle and left it sit over night.
the water did not harm the finish and there was no white ring. Trying
the same thing with a scrap finished with shellac containing wax didn't
fare too well.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA