Ed Sirett

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:32:13 +0100, JustMe wrote:

Greetings,

I am completing a basement conversion. I have a compact, silent, electronic
electric meter down there, but the gas meter is one of the chunky mechanical
types (manufacturer "Schlumberger"). The problem is that it can be rather
noisy, giving off a high-pitched whine sound when gas is being used and
making a knocking sound, presumably as the meter turns.

My question is whether this is serviceable or whether the only way to
eliminate such a noise would be to replace the gas meter. It states on the
meter that it is the "Property of Transco".

I assume that neither is an acceptable DIY job, given the nature of working
with gas and my inexperience in such matters.

That being the case, who would I contact about either route (if applicable)?

Read the gas fitting FAQ.
You may well find that a noisy gas meter is one that is about to fail.
If the meter is in poor order it may have quite noticable periodic
variations of outlet pressure when the boiler is on.
If the pressure is out seriously out of spec then Transco can be called to
replace the unit.