JustMe

Default Noisy gas meter

Greetings,

I am completing a basement conversion. I have a compact, silent, electronic
electric meter down there, but the gas meter is one of the chunky mechanical
types (manufacturer "Schlumberger"). The problem is that it can be rather
noisy, giving off a high-pitched whine sound when gas is being used and
making a knocking sound, presumably as the meter turns.

My question is whether this is serviceable or whether the only way to
eliminate such a noise would be to replace the gas meter. It states on the
meter that it is the "Property of Transco".

I assume that neither is an acceptable DIY job, given the nature of working
with gas and my inexperience in such matters.

That being the case, who would I contact about either route (if applicable)?

TIA.