AAvK

I assume you aren't buying dewaxed shellac, and if that is the case,
then the wax will always be suspended in the mixture and if it sits for
a few days, it will settle to the bottom of the jar. My guess is you
are seeing mostly wax falling out of the solution. Also bear in mind
that since shellac is a natural product produced by insects, it will
have impurities in it and you are supposed to strain it before using it.
What you are seeing sounds normal to me and if you separate the clear
solution from the precipitate on the bottom, you will have made your own
dewaxed shellac. Also beware of the quality of your alcohol as well as
the shellac. If the alcohol has much water in it, it won't dissolve the
shellac very well. Alcohol would be a good thing to buy from a chemical
supply house, because the quality should be very high. Keep your
alcohol closed tightly at all times, because it will draw moisture from
the air. If you can find Zinsser Seal Coat in Mexico, it is a dewaxed
shellac already made for you in a 2 pound cut. It is very common in the
US.

I think the right alcohol is "anhydrous" ... means there is no h2o in it.
Sold and explained by Hock tools.

What is the problem with waxed shellac anyway? Why the preferences
for the dewaxed variety?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com