John Stumbles

Default Taps on basin keep moving

"Rob Graham" wrote in message
m...
I've just installed a new basin in the bathroom and am having
difficulties stopping the taps from moving. The holes in the basin
were quite large for the tap stem so I made spacer washers to centre
the taps - I then change the plastic nuts for brass ones but even with
a tap wrench the family still end up twisting the taps. OK I could
issue orders to the family to stop being gorillas but that's a bit
unrealistic as the previous taps were OK.

My current recipe is to apply a gob of plumber's mait (I should get
commission on the stuff :-) to taps when fitting, also a washer (bit of 22mm
plastic pipe, sliced to about 3mm length) to centre it better (as you've
done), discard rubber washers and tighten hand tight with box spanner. They
won't resist a determined twisting at first but over the months & years as
the mait hardens it should become pretty solid.

You could cheat and apply gripfill instead of mait.
You could go ballistic and use Araldite ;-)

--
John Stumbles