John Rumm

Egremont wrote:

** Is it the normal thing to leave supply to F&E cistern turned off, then
keep it topped-up by activating the supply gate valve periodically with
heating is on (ie water is expanded). Doing this I can see the system will
remain topped-up without the F&E tank overflowing (as would seem to be the
case if you leave supply permanently on?). Sorry I don't know much about
this stuff as I've always had gas fires up till now....

Most systems leave the feed to the tank on, and rely on the float vavle
in the tank to regulate the water level.

You adjust the float valve such that it maintains the water level with
enough expansion room between the water level and the overflow to
accomodate the typical expansion.

--
Cheers,

John.