Ken Weitzel

I received a ThinkPad (T23) in the post a few days ago. It had been
left in Sleep mode and the battery was too flat to boot.

I had intermittent power-on probs for a day or so. Now if I press the
power button nothing happens, but removing the backup battery at this
point will turn the machine on (no need to press the power button
again). Leaving the backup battery out entirely solves the problem, and
the machine turns on first time with no problem -- although it will not
load the operating system, so doing away with the backup battery
entirely doesn't seem to be an option

I think the Power Manager has got stuck into thinking there's no power
as a consequence of the extended sojourn in sleep mode with a near flat
battery.

I flashed the BIOS with the latest version to no avail (it is possible
to power on with the backup battery installed but it takes a lot of
messing around, diconnecting/reconnecting AC & batt etc). I have also
tried draining the capacitor by keeping the power button pressed with
mains/batt and backup disconnected.

I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to disable the pre 'power'
on test? Why hasn't leaving the motherboard without any power for a few
hours already reset the system -- could this prob be due to something
else entirely?

thanks for everyone's time.

Hi...

Maybe I'm missing something here... I don't have a
thinkpad... but why don't you just replace the battery
and be done with it?

As for resetting the bios to it's defaults... is there
possibly a pair of pins to short to do this? Or isn't
there a cmos setup to restore defaults?

Good luck, and take care.

Ken